Do not take this medicine if:
- The person taking the medicine is under 2 years of age
- You are allergic (hypersensitive) to promethazine hydrochloride or any of the other ingredients of Phenergan Elixir. The signs of an allergic reaction include: a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue.
- You are taking a medicine for depression called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). Also do not take Phenergan Tablets if you have stopped taking one of these MAOI medicines within the last 14 days. If you are not sure ask your doctor or pharmacist
- The person is unconscious (in a coma) or suffers from severe dizziness, drowsiness or headache Do not take this medicine if any of the above applies to you. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Phenergan Tablets
Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking your medicine if:
- You have difficulty breathing, wheezing, tightness in the chest (asthma) or an infection in your lungs (bronchitis)
- You have epilepsy
- You have any serious heart problems
- You have liver or kidney problems
- You have a stomach blockage or difficulty passing water (urine)
- You have hearing problems
- You have increased pressure in the eye (narrow angle glaucoma)
- You have had something called Reye’s Syndrome or possible Reye’s Syndrome signs include being sick and confused following a viral illness If you are not sure if any of the above apply to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Phenergan Elixir.
Do not take this medicine, and tell your doctor, if you are taking or have taken the following in the last 2 weeks:
- Some medicines for depression called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). If you are not sure ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Phenergan Elixir. This is because it can affect the way the medicine works.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you are pregnant, might become pregnant, or think you may be pregnant.
- Phenergan Elixir should not be taken 2 weeks before birth.
- You should not take Phenergan Elixir if you are breast-feeding. This is because small amounts may pass into mothers’ milk. This can be harmful to your baby. If you are breast-feeding or planning to breast-feed, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine.
Driving and using machines
- You may feel drowsy or sleepy after taking this medicine or in the morning after taking this medicine. If this happens, do not drive or use any tools or machines.
- Phenergan Elixir contains lactose: this is a type of sugar. If you have been told by your doctor that you cannot tolerate or digest some sugars (have an intolerance to some sugars), talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Phenergan Elixir if you are taking any prescribed medicines.
Stop taking Phenergan Elixir and see a doctor or go to a hospital straight away if you notice any of the following side effects:
An allergic reaction. The signs may include: a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
Liver problems that may cause the eyes or skin to go yellow (jaundice) ‘ Muscle stiffness or shaking . Being unable to control some muscles in your head or face
You notice unusual movements of the tongue, facial muscle spasms, rolling eyes and trembling . Very fast, uneven or forceful heartbeat (palpitations) ‘ Irregular heartbeat ‘
Tiredness which lasts for a long time. This may be due to a blood problem called anaemia . Over-active behaviour in children
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side effects get serious or lasts longer than a few days. Also tell them if you notice any side effects not listed. Dry mouth, blurred vision or you cannot pass water (urine). Feeling drowsy or sleepy, tiredness, disorientation, having nightmares, headaches, feeling restless. Loss of appetite (anorexia), indigestion. Feeling dizzy, lightheaded, faint (hypotension) . Feeling confused, especially in elderly people
‘ Being more sensitive to the sun than usual. If this happens keep out of direct sunlight and do not use sun lamps Like all medications,
Phenergan Elixir can have side effects, however not everyone will experience these. If you are concerned about any of these side effects or any other side effects, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.